Graduate Student Resources

Graduate students considering a program abroad will need to work closely with their program chair or advisor, the Office of Graduate Studies, as well as the Global Experiences Office. All offices will help the student determine how work completed abroad will fit into and be applied to their degree program. 

Opportunities Abroad with UNL

Several UNL Faculty-Led programs are open to graduate/professional students and some are designed exclusively for graduate/professional students. Check out the complete listing of available opportunities in MyWorld.

International Travel Registry for Students (ITRS):

All graduate students traveling internationally in association with UNL, both non-credit and for-credit opportunities, are REQUIRED to register their international travel no later than two weeks prior to their expected departure date.

Some common types of international travel undertaken by graduate/professional students includes international travel:

  • supported wholly or in part with UNL funding in the form of a grant, scholarship, or assistantship, or while on UNL payroll;
  • by a student accompanying a UNL employee with a purpose that is relevant to the University’s mission;
  • for independent or joint research;
  • for an internship, teaching opportunity, or other professional development;
  • to meetings of academic and professional associations, including conferences.

Additional information regarding the ITRS, how to register, and additional resources can be found here.

Funding Your Experience Abroad:

Graduate students are encouraged to apply for the Christian Lieding Scholarship using the MAPS Scholarship Application.

Additional funding opportunities may be available through each student's individual department or college, so we would encourage you to check. Information regarding national opportunities and additional funding resources can be found on the "Funding Your Experience Abroad" page.