Non-U.S. Citizens

If you are not a U.S. citizen, you are responsible for understanding the rules and regulations involved in leaving the U.S. for a period of time for the purposes of temporarily studying in another country. Please contact the UNL International Student Scholar Office to ensure that you will not jeopardize your current status by participating in a program abroad. You will also need to contact the embassy or consulate of your destination country to obtain the visa requirements as they relate to your country of citizenship; be aware that often these are located in Washington D.C. or Chicago and could require you to appear in person to obtain a visa. For re-entry into the U.S. after your trip, you will need a valid passport, a non-expired visa (stamped inside passport), and form I-20 (if student) or DS-2019 (if an exchange visitor); both must be signed by an International Student & Scholar Advisor within the last six months.

Diverse Immigration Statuses

Below is a list of organizations in the area that can assist students with diverse immigration statuses (e.g., DACA) in their legal preparations to go abroad: