Power of Attorney

The Global Experiences Office and Student Legal Services strongly recommend all students studying abroad obtain a Power of Attorney (POA). A POA is a document authorizing another (a parent, relative, or close friend) to act legally on your behalf. A general POA may perform all of the decisions and actions made by an individual. The POA can take care of unanticipated financial and personal affairs, such as bills and UNL course and/or housing registration, while you are out of the country. The Power of Attorney agreement allows others to make payments to a student's account and sign important documents on his or her behalf.

UNL students can get a POA free of charge from Student Legal Services, located in 335 Nebraska Union. You will need to provide that office with the following information:

  • Student's name, permanent address, and telephone number;
  • The name of the person who will have power of attorney, their address, and telephone number.

Provide copies of your Power of Attorney agreement to the Global Experiences Office, Office of Scholarship and Financial Aid, and to any other agency which cannot regularly give out information about you without your expressed written permission.