In general, UNL students pursuing opportunities abroad are encouraged to earn academic credit for the experience. There are many benefits to earning credit, including but not limited to the following:
- Eligibility for scholarships: for most awards, students must earn at least one credit, but some awards have higher credit minimums;
- Eligibility for federal financial aid: credit minimums vary by term (semester vs. summer) and level (undergraduate vs. graduate);
- Ability to maintain student status at UNL: students enroll in UNL course(s) and/or in a Special Waiver (SPCW) placeholder course;
- Opportunity to receive ACE 9 outcome completion waiver;
- Proof of the academic legitimacy of the experience, and academic oversight and guidance from a qualified instructor;
- The international experience will appear on the UNL transcript.